Spring is enjoyable for a couple reasons: flowers are blooming, you can open up windows for outdoor air and your power bill is usually at its most economical. That’s because you’re not turning to your furnace or air conditioner.
But as mercury begins to climb, so do your energy charges. Here are a few ideas for saving energy in Hillsborough and keeping costs down.
1. Schedule Annual AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system a yearly maintenance visit can help it run more efficiently and cut down costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep energy costs less expensive.
If your HVAC equipment has seen better days, spring is an excellent time to replace it. The energy-saving technology in newer cooling systems is a big benefit for keeping your utility bill down.
2. Turn to Your Thermostat
There’s a simple way you can save up to 10% on heating and cooling expenses. Just dial your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours during the day.
Figuring out how to efficiently use your thermostat is the smartest way to reduce energy bills in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re in the house. Think about it this way, the smaller the difference between exterior temperatures and inside temperatures, the lower your energy cost will be.
- When you’re away, set the thermostat to a considerably higher temperature or turn it off. You shouldn’t have to cool an empty residence.
3. Take Advantage of Other Methods to Cool Your Space
You can try several other approaches to help keep your home comfortable:
- Use a ceiling fan—By using a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no decrease in comfort. Have your fan turn counterclockwise during the summer, which drives cool air upward. This disperses cool air more equally when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds closed—Sunlight quickly transforms into heat as it passes through windows. Keep your residence comfortable by shutting blinds and curtains when you’re not using sunny rooms.
4. Look Into Getting a Smart Thermostat
You’re out and about and abruptly realize you forgot to turn up the thermostat. Then you think about it the entire day!
Smart thermostats figure out your schedule and change the temp when you’re not around to help you save on your bills. You can also set the temperature from anywhere with your phone.
These expert suggestions will all help keep summer energy charges less expensive. If you conclude it’s time to modernize your thermostat or need AC installation, give our team a call at 908-448-2154 or contact us online. We’ll help you figure out the best solution for your space. And like always, all our services are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.