According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments respond to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide cases each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s commonly associated with wood stoves, car engines, and other fire combustion sources along with gas or oil furnaces.
Why is Carbon Monoxide so important?
Not to be overly dramatic, but understanding the causes and ways to prevent excessive CO exposure is a matter of life and death. CO is among the leading causes of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO poisoning is often confused as the flu, viral infections and continuous fatigue, among many others. This makes CO poisoning a very serious concern for any Hillsborough homeowner. Acute poisoning takes place from inhaling large concentrations of CO, but poisoning has also been reported to occur over many months or years. Some indicators may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness, and fatigue.
Steps you can take to reduce the CO risk in your Hillsborough home?
- If you don’t have a CO detector in your home, get one right away. You can contact Fras-Air/General Service Experts to purchase one today.
- Existing CO detectors should be checked regularly (at least every 90 days). It's also wise to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
- If you experience or have experienced some of the symptoms mentioned above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning and get a second opinion if necessary.
- Schedule routine gas furnace maintenance each year to verify no carbon monoxide leaks are present at the start of heating season.
- If your furnace is approaching the end of its useful life, think about a proactive home furnace replacement service and upgrade to a new hvac system.
*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee the prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.