How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Hillsborough Home

February 11, 2015

According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments answer to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide incidents each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s commonly associated with wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources along with gas or oil furnaces.

Why is Carbon Monoxide so important?

Not to be overly dramatic, but understanding the causes and ways to prevent excessive CO2 exposure is a matter of life and death. CO2 is one of the leading ways of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning is often confused as the flu, viral infections and continuous fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning a very serious concern for any Hillsborough homeowner. Acute poisoning takes place from intaking large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning has also been reported to occur over many months or years. Some indicators may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.

Steps you can take to reduce the CO2 risk in your Hillsborough home?

  1. If you don’t have a CO2 detector in your home, get one right away. You can call Fras-Air/General Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to purchase one today.
  2. If you do have a CO detector that is battery-powered, check or replace the batteries regularly; at least every 90 days. It's also wise to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
  3. If you experience or have experienced some of the symptoms stated above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.

*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Contact Us