How to Protect Your Home in Extreme Cold
It’s frigid out there. Most of the country is layering up for some freezing temps. And while the Experts are always ready to help, have a few HVAC and plumbing tips to help you avoid those cold weather emergencies.
- Disconnect exterior water faucets.
- Insulate exposed pipes and outdoor fixtures.
- A slow drop in indoor sinks and bathrooms by exterior walls can keep pipes from freezing.
- Open up kitchen and bathroom cabinets underneath sinks to keep warm air circulating around pipes.
- Keep an indoor temperature of at least 68 degrees (and warmer if possible).
- Get those indoor heaters ready by testing them for proper operation.
- If you have vents shut in unused rooms, open them now.
- If your furnace is not functional, contact the Experts for heating repairs or consider a new furnace install.
- Last but not least, give your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors a quick inspection.
Follow these simple tips to keep your HVAC and plumbing warm and working. Then pour yourself some hot chocolate. And, as always, Fras-Air/General is here for you. If you have questions, concerns or problems, don’t hesitate to call.