Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other space to your residence, being cozy in your new space regardless of outdoor temperatures is key. However, they can make a unique problem for comfort. This is due to the fact extending ductwork is pricey. And that your heating and cooling system may not be deal with the heightened load, as it was sized without including the addition.
One of the most affordable solutions is to add a mini-split. This system offers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork required. Find out more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition might be a fantastic option.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Heat and Cool
A ductless mini-split, as they’re much like ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have used for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient since they move heat to make your addition more comfortable. In reality, many have achieved ENERGY STAR® certification, which may make you eligible for added rebates and lower your heating and cooling costs for a long time.
Another unique feature involves zoned heating and cooling. Because each room usually has a dedicated indoor unit, you can choose your preferred temperature from room to room. As an instance, a mini-split AC is especially helpful if you have a area with specific temperature needs, like a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Addition
Having a mini-split system is worth it for areas that are without ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s wiser than extending ductwork and relying on your current heating and cooling system.
- Adding ductwork is pricey. Installing ductwork in your new addition can be costly. Although the exact cost will depend on your home, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your present home comfort system may become stressed. When your existing heating and cooling system was installed, it was based on the square footage of your house before the addition. This can overwork your system and make it wear out faster.
- Your comfort may decrease. Because your heating and cooling system is sized for exact square footage, your comfort might be reduced if your system has to cover a bigger space. Your heating and cooling may be less efficient, and your energy expenses may increase as a result of the system needing to turn on more frequently.
What Size Mini-Split You Need
Like regular systems, mini-splits are offered in varying sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most regularly installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you collaborate our Experts at Fras-Air/General Service Experts, we’ll help you choose the proper size for your new area. And your budget.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can generate huge energy savings over its life span, which can be 20 years or longer when adequately tuned up. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, when compared to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Fras-Air/General Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From addressing all your questions and helping you choose the ideal model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, Fras-Air/General Service Experts can handle all your mini-split needs. If you’re thinking about a home addition or recently completed one, we can provide assistance. Give us a call at 908-448-2154 right away to request a free consultation and estimate.