Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air in your home cool, which means that any time you allow heat back in your home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than it needs to. While the air conditioner is your main source for cooler air, there are a couple things you can do, outside of air conditioner service, to help keep the Hillsborough heat out and help your air conditioner thrive through the final days of summer.
Here are seven tips from Fras-Air/General Service Experts to help keep hot air outside:
- Block out the sun. A great deal of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by using solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At minimum, purchase blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The rooms in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Check out your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can do a high-tech comfort performance assessment for you to identify leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Inspect your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that might be torn or showing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven generate a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave instead of your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that might generate heat for evenings after the temperature outside drops. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and give those appliances a rest.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help block the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also offer shade and deflect some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The biggest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After finding out about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the ideal option could simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is sustaining cool temperatures despite following the tips we’ve listed, it might mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to make sure your equipment is working correctly and that you are getting peak efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than necessary. Give Fras-Air/General Service Experts in Hillsborough or set up an appointment online to have a pro check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s operating as it should be.