Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing strange noises when your air conditioner is on? There’s likely something wrong with your AC. If you don’t fix it, it could lead to significant—and expensive—troubles eventually. We’re going to help you figure out what’s occurring with your air conditioner and what you can do to change it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling normally indicates a problem with your refrigerant line. If you can’t determine where the noise is originating from, that’s alright. An expert can help find out where this noise is occurring.
- Crackling – Crackling could come from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Mature ductwork can create noise inside your house.
- Hissing – Hissing sounds coming from your AC can be created by a faulty refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor.
- Buzzing – Buzzing is likely an electrical issue.
- Clicking – Clicking can indicate you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned.
- Pulsating – Pulsating can come from a loose part.
- Loud Noise – A clear noise from your outside unit can signal an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler.
- Humming – Humming can begin with fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Read through our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about frequent air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep running my system when it’s making a noise?
There are some cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It’s hard to answer this question without looking at your system.
Most of the time, we recommend shutting off the unit off and bringing in a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you think there’s an issue with your unit. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected spend, it’s smart to get problems taken care of right away. Contacting a professional could help reduce future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please schedule online for a free, in-home consultation.
Zoning Systems: Tailored Temperature Control in Every Room
Central heating and cooling systems have radically changed home comfort and made it possible to stay perfectly comfortable in any season or climate. But while centralized systems supply a convenient way to manage the temperature, they at times fall short when it comes to evenly distributing heated... Continue reading
Increase Your Comfort: Eight Home Heating and Cooling Upgrades
During the chilly days and nights in the U.S., there’s no better way to improve your home’s comfort than with some effective upgrades. It’s not just about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about maximizing efficiency and removing pollutants from the very air... Continue reading
How to Find an Effective HVAC System
When considering keeping your home comfortable year-round, nothing is more important than selecting the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This decision affects your daily comfort, monthly utility bills and overall home efficiency. But, with so many system types, sizes... Continue reading