When rough weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair professional to check your system post-storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your steps worked.
At Fras-Air/General Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time likely will not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets tossed around during severe weather. Just make sure you have turned the system fully off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a protected place so that they don’t get thrown around during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to go back outside, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Fras-Air/General Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that bad weather doesn’t hit us in Hillsborough, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other concerns that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for severe weather in Hillsborough or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Fras-Air/General Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.