When bad weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair expert to check your system post-storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your steps worked.
At Fras-Air/General Service Experts, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time likely will not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets thrown around during severe weather. Just make sure you have turned the system completely off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a protected place so that they don’t get tossed about during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to go back outdoors, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Fras-Air/General Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Hillsborough, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other concerns that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for severe weather in Hillsborough or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 908-448-2154 or schedule an appointment with Fras-Air/General Service Experts through our online scheduler.