Tips to Safely Heat Your Home This Winter

November 02, 2016

Every year over 20,000 people go to the ER due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.

Carbon monoxide, as confirmed by the CDC, is given off by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the heating months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep you safe, Fras-Air/General Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with a couple tips to safety heat your home.

 

  • Place a CO detector on each floor of your home and change the batteries every year.
  • Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, at least three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
  • Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, always check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
  • Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces alone. Turn off space heaters and be sure all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
  • Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like concrete or tile. Keep kids and furbabies away from space heaters.
  • When investing in a new space heater, buy a model that turns off automatically if the heater falls over.
  • Do not use a stove to increase the temperature in your home.
  • Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally examined and cleaned annually.

 

The ultimate thing you can do for your heating system is to make sure it’s not only ready to keep you warm all winter but also safe, is to call for your furnace tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Fras-Air/General Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning will check to make sure your heating equipment is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 908-448-2154 today and learn how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.

Contact Us