One of the most routine issues that we encounter at Fras-Air/General Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Hillsborough is filthy air filters. They can seem like a very tiny piece of the big home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us create comfort is a lot greater than most homeowners realize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a filthy air filter can cause a number of concerns for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you don’t remember to swap out your air filter? Here are a just a couple of the side effects you could encounter:
- Reduced airflow. This is easily the largest problem you’ll note when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being switched, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this inhibits air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working quite a bit harder to leave you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is working harder due to a clogged air filter, you also run the risk of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s working overtime to provide you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a threat if your air filter goes neglected for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something gives out or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off all the time. When your system short cycles, it can overheat or break down from the added work, possibly causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A diminished equipment lifecycle
- Lower energy efficiency
- Lower air quality
- More dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last swapped out your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to avert any possible damage that may come with a filthy air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the various air filters available, give Fras-Air/General Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning a call at or schedule an appointment online.