What can be done to protect my home from carbon monoxide?

Preventing it from happening is the most critical step. Doing proper safety precautions will decrease your chances of carbon monoxide poisoning in Hillsborough.

Here are a couple steps you can take to keep your family safe:

  • Heat up your car away from your garage. Cars are a large source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so never leave yours on in the confined space of a garage. The same goes for gas equipment like lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
  • Don’t use ovens or grills as heaters. These appliances are safe when operated properly but can produce carbon monoxide when on for a long period of time in small spaces.
  • Don’t operate a gas generator indoors, as it produces fumes.
  • Have your chimney inspected by a specialist. This ensures chimneys and vents aren’t clogged and connected correctly.
  • Check gas appliances are running properly, particularly your heating system. You can ensure efficient, safe comfort by scheduling routine furnace maintenance with Fras-Air/General Service Experts.