If you think you may have a gas leak, evacuate your home and call 911 immediately.
Signs of a gas leak can include the following:
- The aroma of sulfur or “rotten eggs”
- Hissing or blowing sounds from appliances hooked up to the gas line, such as gas stoves, or sounds from the gas source itself
- Dead or yellowed grass, plants or other vegetation
- Residents of the home having symptoms such as dizziness, nausea or fatigue
If you are encountering any of these signs and are thinking they could be related to a gas leak, get out of your home and call 911 immediately, followed by your utility company.
There are cases where the utility company will take care of a gas leak, but in most instances the homeowner is on the hook. Fortunately, the professionals at Fras-Air/General Service Experts are fully trained to install or repair gas lines and we are dedicated to getting the job done right, and more importantly, safely. Not to mention that all our work is backed with our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee*!
GAS LINE REPAIR IS SOMETHING YOU SHOULD NEVER ATTEMPT AS A DIY PROJECT.
While there are a number of things to do around the house that homeowners choose to take on by themselves, gas line repair should to be left up to the experts. It is the only way to ensure that your gas lines are both safe and effective, as well as up to all Hillsborough codes.
From installing gas lines for a new stove or oven to fixing gas lines for a heater in your garage, Fras-Air/General Service Experts’s experiences in the industry have allowed us to handle a variety of gas line projects in the Hillsborough community, so no job is too tall of an order for our experts.
Gas Leak and Carbon Monoxide Safety
As noted before, the first thing you need to do if you are concerned about a gas leak is leave your home and then call 911 right away. After emergency responders are coming your way, call your utility company.
Once the emergency responders and utility company have made sure there is no danger, call Fras-Air/General Service Experts to schedule a gas line repair, installation or replacement.
Poisonous gases, including natural gas and carbon monoxide, need to be taken very seriously. Be sure you have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home and call 911 immediately if you’re ever concerned about a gas leak or carbon monoxide in your home. Unlike natural gas, carbon monoxide does not have a scent and can’t be easily detected. The EPA recommends the following steps to reduce exposure to carbon monoxide:
- Keep gas appliances correctly adjusted.
- Put in and use an exhaust fan vented to outdoors over gas stoves.
- Open flues when fireplaces are in use.
- Have a trained professional inspect, clean and tune up your central heating systems (including furnaces, flues and chimneys) annually and fix any leaks immediately.
For more tips on how to safely heat your home and avoid carbon monoxide issues, check out our blog.